Skip to main content

Having an Extraordinary Friend

First and foremost, I appreciated Shan Na for providing me a chance to feature my writing in UCSI University VOIZ (a newsletter talks about students). My writing isn't fantastic, but my writing is a way for me to express my gratitude toward my extraordinary friend, Charmaine.

The theme of April 2010 issue is friendship. I grabbed this opportunity to talk about my special friend, so called buddy

I got to know her since I involved in Best Buddies program. The friendship blossoms, and we maintain our friendship until now.

Below is my writing regarding how I learn from her:

Being the friend of an extraordinary friend does not mean that I am her superior. In fact, we are equals who are constantly learning from each other. Some people might assume that a friendship with a special friend might end with me being the caregiver. In actual fact, a buddy's role is just to be a friend, as simple as ABC. However, we need to be sensible in dealing with special friends.

Here are a few tips in maintaining good friendship with extraordinary friends.

* Keep your promise
Do not make empty promises when you are unsure of your decisions. They take your words seriously. If you are unable to keep the promise, you might end up hurting their feelings.

* Consistency
A simple "How are you", "Have you eaten" or "Take care" moves them. They need care and concern from a friend. Thus, your constant contact will make them feel they are important in your eyes.

* Patience
Sometimes, they might not able to comprehend your messages. Be patient, and repeat the messages to them. Ensure you convey the messages correctly. If you feel frustrated having to repeat your sentences, try not to lose your temper. Respond nicely to them, for after all, they are special people.

* Do not treat them as kids
Do not treat them as kids. If they behave badly, you must correct them because it is the way to make them learn and grow. A true friend reveals a friend's flaws or mistakes to help him/her improve

My extraordinary friend is the most marvelous I ever received. Once she touched my heart deeply, when she hugged me and said "Thank you" to me. I really appreciate her friendship as her cheerful and positive personality deeply inspires me to be more optimistic in life.

In life, we meet many acquaintances, but seldom do we have extraordinary friends. Do not hesitate to befriend them, because just like us - they need friends. Friends should be supportive of each another. Thus, you are helping them as they are helping you too. Be genuine and positive in your relationship with them, they could be your precious friends for life.

(This essay is edited UCSI editorial team)

Hui Ru

Comments

  1. keep your sincerity for being friend with extraordinary friend that around you now .. gambate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to train your dragon (Movie)

If you said it is a waste to watch animation or cartoon in cinema, I will reject your idea. Firstly, most of the animation strongly project good moral ethics or values for the reference of audiences especially children. During the childhood, children ought to differentiate the right and the wrong distinctively, neither grey area nor in between. Value always serves as a guideline for us to oblige, not a compulsory because decision is still lied in the hand of human. This movie secretly intruded my deepen heart. It talked about relationship, a bond between dragon and human. The main character, Hiccup chose to save the night fury (dragon) because he saw the fear from its eye. Even a human, we got attracted or closer with people who are similar to us because we feel we able to understand each other better compared to differences. The flow of movie discussed the process of rejection, acceptance, understand and devotion in a relationship. When we are just a stranger for each other, we are re

Handmade ART

Handmade is one of my interest since young. I love art which includes drawing, coloring, making cards and etc. I used to make cards for my friends during secondary school times. Now, I seldom did due to lack of time. It takes time to complete an art work. Thus, I only do when I am free. After reading other people blog, I felt like putting my handmade artwork in my blog..just want to reflect my memory.. Too bad, I did not take photos of my art piece last time. I only left 2 with me..So..have a look.. "Lion" - bookmark Underwater world

Am I supposed to conform?

Conform to the rules because you have no choice over it. You conform, because you believe in it. For example, bible, quran or Buddhist book. Religious people are practicing those rules and might apply it into real life situation. What if you are conform to it due to the other restriction? Today I went to one of the universities in Malaysia. Majority of students are Islamic students. I am not allowed to enter due to my dress code. I wore decently, with a pant which length almost to the ankle. I had been rejected to enter the library because their rule is your dress code must be more than ankle. I respect your dress code. But, It isn't a bit unreasonable to just stop me from entering. I did not know about the dress code before that. At least, give us a chance. We came from so far just want to get journals out from your library, why can't the person talked or told us nicely? What is the purpose you divide the seat far away from male to female. People are not following. What if you